Quinoa is classified by the National Academy of Sciences as one of the best sources of protein and the only grain that provides all the eight essential amino acids. Each serving of quinoa provide 3 grams of fiber and 6 grams of proteins, making it an ideal food for vegetarians.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper diced
- ½ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup almonds chopped
- 1 cup Mandarin oranges
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
1. Cook quinoa according to directions on package with water.
2. Cook brown rice according to directions on package.
3. Wash and slice sugar snap peas or snow peas into thirds.
4. Dice onions and sweet peppers.
5. Wash and thinly slice green onions.
6. When rice and quinoa and cooked and cooled, put them in a large bowl. Add all the chopped vegetables, almonds, and onions.
7. Whisk vinegar and oil with a little salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 teaspoon of sugar if desired.
8. Toss the rice salad with the dressing and raisins. Chill or serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts: Serving size: 1/8 of a recipe (5.6 ounces), Amount Per Serving: Calories 242, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 5mg, Potassium 414mg, Total Carbohydrates 35g, Fiber 5g, Sugar 9g, Protein 7g
Food Group Servings = 1 Vegetable, 1 Grains
Tip: Prepare your brown rice ahead of time, as it takes longer to cook. If you can find brown basmati rice, it has a nice light quality.
Snow’s Citrus makes a great mandarin orange dressing if you don’t want to make your own.